Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Blog entry 8 rewrite


Jasmine Anderson

After  reading the  poem “Do Not Go Gentle into That Good  Night “ by Dylan  Thomas”  for  the  first  time  I  was  very  confused  and had  no  idea  what  the  author  was  trying  to  say.  After  rereading  the  poem  four  times  and  identifying  the  symbols  and  symbolic  action,  I  began  to  understand  exactly  what  Thomas  was  trying  to  say.  After  analyzing  this  poem  I  have  come  to  the  conclusion  that  Thomas  is  addressing  death  and  how  we  should  go  out  with  a  fight rather  than  excepting  it  and  dying  quietly.

            The  title  really  helped  me  bring  significance  to  this  poem.  The  title  uses  symbols  such  as  night.  As  soon  as  I  saw  the  word  night  I came  up  with  the  connotation  of  darkness,  sleep,  and  death.  The  title  showed  me that the poem  was  going  to  be  about  death  and  how  something  should  be  fought.

            In  the  second  line  of  the  first  stanza  the  speaker  say’s  “old  age  should  rave  at  close  of  day” .  To  me  Thomas  was expressing  his  personal  feeling  toward  death.  I think  that Thomas  was  implying  that  as  we  become  older  instead  of  looking  toward  death  we  should  be  using  our  energy  to  fight  death,  addressing  it  with  anger.  When  he  uses  the  symbol  burn  I  automatically  think of energy, something  that  isn’t  painful.

            In  the  second  stanza  the  speaker  says  “through  wise  man  at  their  end  know  dark  is  right,  because  their  words  have  forked  no  lighting  they  do  not  go  gentle  into  the  good night.”  To me this  means  that  a  wise  mad  can  tell  when  death is  near and  they  will not go  out  without  a fight.  Thomas  also says  Rang,  Rang,  in  the  last  line  of  the  first  stanza.  This  shows  me  that it  is  very  important  to him.  To  me this  means  that  we  should  have  uncontrollable  anger  toward  death.

            In  conclusion  I think  the  overall  message  of  the  poem  was  to  address  his  dying  father.   

No comments:

Post a Comment